To Our Military: Thank You For Your Service

Thank Our Military Men and WomenAs I sit here at my regular coffee shop, sipping a latte, looking out the window at a spectacle of traditional winter wonderland and contemplate my final Christmas gift purchases, it occurred to me how fortunate I am. My blessings are countless. However, among my greatest blessings is my freedom. This is a blessing to which I owe a great debt of gratitude to our heroes – the men and women of our armed forces.

Contrast our comfort and coziness this season to the dry, dusty, dirty conditions of the middle east. Think about how we enjoy thoughts of sugar plums dancing in our heads, while they are scanning the horizon for terrorists, improvised explosive devices and other threats. While we laugh and mingle with loved ones at holiday parties, they’re working long hours counting on their brother or sister soldier to protect their back.

As Austin Bay described the realities of this season on StrategyPage.com:

Even though I’d rather drink party punch and talk about football, each unique questioner deserves a thoughtful answer. At some sincere level, …(people are)… asking for a thoughtful opinion regarding the likelihood of life during a season proclaiming joy to the world weighed against the possibility of death at the hands of mass murders driven by a malignant religious zealotry.

Yes, we owe an incredible debt of gratitude to the men and women of our armed forces. I just took a moment to say thank you, via the USO’s website. I hope you will do the same. You can send a thank you email to our protectors of freedom at the link below. Feel free to copy or use a version of my own note.

USO Holiday Thank You

Please take a moment to say thank you to our military men and women:

Sample Thank You Message

Below is the message I just sent. Please feel free to copy, modify or otherwise reuse this note:

Because I am not in your shoes, I know I will never fully appreciate the sacrifices you make for me, your family, your friends and your country every day. However, I am especially reflective of my gratitude this holiday season. I realize your sacrifice is made even greater during this time away from your loved ones.

It is because of your sacrifices that I am able to enjoy our freedoms. So with a great degree of sincerity and humility, I say simply, “thank you” for all you’ve done and continue to do for me, my family, my friends and our country.

Sincerely,
Benjamin S. Lichtenwalner
ModernServantLeader.com

Thank you, too, for taking the time to say thanks.

Question: Do you have a loved one in the military? What other ways do you suggest we show our appreciation this holiday season and throughout the year?

Even though I’d rather drink party punch and talk about football, each unique questioner deserves a thoughtful answer. At some sincere level, the person is asking for a thoughtful opinion regarding the likelihood of life during a season proclaiming joy to the world weighed against the possibility of death at the hands of mass murders driven by a malignant religious zealotry.
2017-04-29T04:57:55+00:00 Servant Leadership|11 Comments

About the Author:

Ben Lichtenwalner is the founder ModernServantLeader.com – the leading blog on servant leadership and top 35 site for any leadership topic, globally. Ben also speaks and consults on IT and management topics for a large variety of clients. Find out more about him at https://ModernServantLeader.com.

11 Comments

1. Maureen November 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm - Reply

I was in the Navy many years ago but then the only thing close to a ship they let women serve on were the tug boats at Pearl, no combat.  So hats off to you all and thank you for keeping us safe.  Come home safely and soon.
    -Maureen

2. Mo January 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ALL !

3. JGT May 24, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

Thank you for all you do for our country and our freedom.  Appreciate all you provide to us and your unselfish efforts for all of us to live a great life.

4. Stacey July 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Have you seen the new book out for thanking our soldiers?  http://www.silentheroesautographbook.com

5. JERRY CALOW September 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm - Reply

To Whom It Would Be of Interest,

I wrote this song to thank Our ServiceMen and Women around the world

and would be honored if you choose to post it on this Patriotic Site.

I thank you and God Bless!

Beholding Beyond Words

So Let The Flags Of Freedom Fly

Unfurled In Their Majesty High

In The Sun

In The Rain

In The Winds

For All Time

Jerry Calow  ( Copyright 2003 )

6. Sarah March 25, 2013 at 3:11 am - Reply

It really grinds on my nerves when I hear people complaining about their jobs and how they have to work on holidays. There are men and women fighting to keep you safe, be thankful for their work. I don’t know the pain and sacrifices you guys face, but my step dad was im the Army, and his stories are heart breaking. I appreciate the work you men and women put into this country, even though a lot of people disrespect you and the Military. THANK YOU SO MUCH! You guys ar kickass in my book:D

• Ben Lichtenwalner March 30, 2013 at 8:16 am - Reply

Thank you, Sarah, for your contribution. And many thanks to your step-father for his service as well.

7. Mark in Indiana August 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm - Reply

As I sit in a hospital bed with an illness missing my four-year-old daughter I think about the military and how they miss their children for months at a time and then I think I’ll be okay

8. Pammy Bowman December 1, 2014 at 1:54 pm - Reply

I would like to say Thank you to all the military soldiers, men. and women. Though I might not be in your shoes, There is never a day that goes by I think of you all , The families you left behind to fight for our freedom.. May God keep you safe until the return home to your love ones.

9. Kevin June 7, 2017 at 8:03 pm - Reply

Admiral Rogers,

I would like to apologize for the disrespectful and unprofessional behavior you experienced during the senate hearing today. Our nation owns an individual with your reputation, level of service and magnitude of professionalism our gratitude and not the dishonorable badgering you experienced. The all too public display of disrespect and unprofessional behavior you witnessed first had is adding fuel to the fire behind the – If they’re in –They’re out in 2018!