We can be really stupid leaders sometimes and that leads to being a bad boss. I can say this because I’ve done it. I still do it sometimes. I can be a bad boss and I bet you can too. Here’s how:
1. Focus on what your boss thinks of you more than what’s right for the organization.
2. Take the big, “important” projects for yourself rather than provide them as opportunities for the team.
3. Spend a lot of time “heads down” on your “work” rather than “heads up” with your team.
4. Talk too much
7. Ignore your instincts
8. Think of yourself too often
9. Think of your stakeholders too little
10. Forget that leadership is a call to serve, not an achievement to reach
Yep, it’s pretty easy to be a bad boss. When we don’t invest the time to think about what we’re doing as leaders, we slip back into boss mode. And boss mode is one small step away from, “Bad Boss” mode. The next time you think you might be slipping, step back and ask yourself, “am I a bad boss?”.
Question: What other ways do leaders become bad bosses?